Thursday, October 16, 2008

Outdoor Hour #32 - Pine Trees

We are going back to the challenge for a few weeks ago, Pine Trees. We didn't do just one study of pine trees. We have looked at the many different varieties of Pine tree we have come across on our daily walks.
We have looked at these scale like pine trees a number of times. They are shaped into a huge hedge along one of our neighbor's driveway.
We also see a number of junipers used as bushes in many different yards. My kids love to pick the blue berries on the different junipers. The berries on the first one is rather bumpy while the 2nd one's berries are perfect little round blue gray berries.

Here is another pine tree that we love to visit and pick the cute little cones off the tree.
We stopped to look at the number of needles that grow in each group. Mostly this trees grew two but sometimes there were three needles in a group.
But the most impressive part of this tree to the kids is the sticky sap they can see. They were afraid to touch it at first because they know it usually is sticky but today it was hard and they decided it was now "sap crystals".

I have decided that pine trees are very difficult to identify. I thought we would try to figure out what kind of pine tree we have in our front yard. So we looked at the needles and how they grew out of the branches.
The cones are very distinct. They look like roses.
I thought it shouldn't be hard to identify this tree. But I looked in my California field guide and couldn't find it. So I looked in my Trees of North America Field Guide and again I couldn't see it in there. The cones grow up on top of the branches and the needles are short and grow in large clusters.
My guess is that it is some kind of Cedar, but which kind exactly I can't tell.
My kids sure love to play with the roses and needles they find all over the yard. At the moment our deck is covered with both.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Try googling this:
deodar cedar cone

I think that looks like what you have there in your post.

You do have a huge variety of trees right there in your neighborhood. What a great life project!

Thanks for sharing your nature time and the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom