Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ick! Yuck! Eew! - Review


Is it just my kids or do all kids love the gross and disgusting parts of history. My kids have checked out every "You wouldn't want to be...." book our library has on its shelves and they keep picking up the Horrible Histories books and reread all about the yucky parts of different historical time periods and places. When looking through available books for review on Netgalley I came across a book called Ick! Yuck! Eew! our Gross American History. I knew it was one my kids would enjoy reading. I requested it and was sent the book. We had to read it on the computer because my Kindle wouldn't not have done justice to the great page layouts in this book.  A hard copy would be the best way to view this book!


It is written as if the reader is a time traveler going back to America in 1770. All the common place things that we would find really foul about life in that time period is discussed. It made me really happy to live when I do. I don't have to deal with rotten teeth and stinky, unwashed people (most of the time). This book certainly paints a rancid, unattractive picture of life during this time period.

I won't spoil it for you but it discusses the smells you would be inflicted with and what causes them, the bugs you would be dealing with, germs and diseases along with the medical practices used, and even what the people would have been wearing during these colonial years  in American History.










I think the author may be right. I wouldn't be able to handle American life in 1770 knowing what I know now. My kids loved the grossness of this book and perhaps see things a lot differently when they "see" what life would have been like for the people of that day.


 

No comments: