Saturday, September 28, 2013

7 Leadership Lesson of the American Revolution - Review

John Antal explains that "We owe the patriots of 1776 a great debt, the least of which is to know and understand their struggle and in so doing, to carry on the fight for Liberty" in his new book 7 Leadership Lessons of the American Revolution.  I was able to receive an advance copy of this book to read and review.  This book not only shares stories of the Revolution but also about what characteristics make up great leaders.

Antal takes 7 pivotal events from the Revolution and explains what each teaches us about the qualities of leadership. What does George Washington taking out his reading glasses to read his prepared thoughts before his men show us about leadership? What do the efforts of Ben, John and Tom illustrate for leaders of our day? What qualities did a bookworm shopkeeper have that could give the colonial army an advantage they sorely needed? I found the stories very interesting but even more importantly, as I read this book I was amazed at the men, placed at just the right time and circumstances, and with just the right skills or attributes that we needed to win a the American Revolution, an outcome that we americans should not have been able to accomplish.

I read this book with a notepad beside me. I jotted down quotes and made a list of traits that leaders exhibit. I learned things about these men, some I had only heard the name of but didn't know anything about them (yes my education is rather lacking!). I certainly learned a lot about what it takes to lead.

I think one of the most powerful events that Antal shares in this book is the famous "Give me Liberty or give me Death" speech given by Patrick Henry. What I really appreciated is that the entire text of his speech is included. Wow! what a powerful speaker he was. I had never read his entire words before and although the last phrase became so famous there is so much more in that text than just that one phrase and it made such a difference to the cause of liberty.

As you can tell I really loved the book! I do plan to buy a copy when it comes out. I had to read this one on my computer but I want have this book on my shelves and have my kids read it one day, when they are ready for it.










No comments: