Friday, July 8, 2011

"Vetule, Stulte urse!"

 Yesterday was library day and of course I came home with a few new books. One that I brought home was Winnie Ille Pu which of course is Winnie the Pooh translated into Latin. I just thought it would be fun to see a book or story in Latin that I already knew well and could read.

I picked it up to look through today and my kids and I had fun looking through it. We had to get the Winnie the Pooh stories off the shelf and compare them to the Latin in order to really understand. We spent a good half hour looking at the pictures and trying to read a few of our favorite parts of the Pooh stories.

We recognized a number of the vocabulary words we have already learned in our Latin studies and could decipher a bit of some of the others.

It was a fun, impromptu Latin lesson that I am sure we will do again. I think I am going to have to look for other Latin versions of fairy tales or things for us to look through.
It is certainly a much more fun way to study a language.




Just in case you couldn't translate the title of this post, it says "Silly, old bear"

2 comments:

Alison said...

I remember reading my Book of Mormon side by side in English and Spanish when I was in Guatemala. It helped, but then I was afraid I would start talking in some antiquated way. That isn't a problem with Latin. It did give me some insights to the English as well.

Cellista said...

I have the Latin version of Olivia (the pig.) Our library has lots of children's books in foreign languages. The boys like to look at the covers and try to figure out what they say.