Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Working Hard and Playing Outdoors

I haven't had much to talk about recently. I don't know if I am just in a writing rut or just too busy living life to write.  I just haven't had anything I felt compelled to share with everyone. Our life just seems to be boring, ordinary, and more of the same. We plod along and time seems to pass so quickly. I looked at my kids tonight and was amazed at how tall they have gotten. I do have some really great children.

I am really working on teaching my kids to work. We have been spending our mornings working. I don't work unless I have my kids along side me working.  This is a change. I used to just do most of the usual clean up myself because I knew I could do it faster and get it done then we could get to our school work or whatever. I have decided not to do that anymore. I want my kids to take over these everyday chores  so I figured I better start teaching them to do more than just take their bowl to the sink and then get dressed and make their beds each morning.

Today we folded laundry, picked up toys and books, swept the floor, did dishes, made granola bars and then had to do dishes again. We cleaned rooms, made beds, swept bedrooms. All this before lunch time.  I can't say our house is spotless but it is cleaner and my kids have been busy busy doing chores.
Sophie and Henry really like to do dishes. I hope they never loose that.
Whenever I hear someone say anything about being bored I tell them to load the dishwasher, or unload the dishwasher, sweep the floor or some other job that I see needs doing. My kids have been happily working and there isn't complaining any more when I ask them to do things.

We haven't done much formal schooling and I am alright with that. Right now we are focusing on life skills and work. So far it is going well.

After a morning of work we do read a few good books (I think I have read through Winnie the Pooh and started the next Little house book as well as a bunch of picture books) and then head outside to play. We have been to the park twice already this week and we are going to go on a hike tomorrow. It seems like the perfect way to spend these lovely spring days.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That is ironic. I've been changing my structure in much the same way this week. Is it because we both listened to/read Keri Tibbetts and Lara Gallagher? Funny. It's amazing to me how much more work a child can do than I thought they could.