Thursday, February 19, 2009

Not every cookie needs Chocolate Chips

Today Sophie decided we needed to bake something. We have been studying fractions in Math this week and of course fractions mean cooking. So I said... we can make this really good Oatmeal Cookie Recipe we could try. "Do they have Chocolate Chips in them?" she asked. I told her these don't need Chocolate Chips. She didn't fully believe me and tried to convince me to throw in a few handfuls as we added the ingredients and mixed them together. My kids seem to think everything requires chips in it. (I made banana bread earlier this week and had to throw in some chips to make it a "dessert treat".)
After mixing all the ingredients together. Sophie sampled the dough a little skeptically but told me it tasted alright. The boys didn't seem to miss anything while they licked the beaters.

The cookies are made from a recipe that my Mom made all the time when I was growing up called "Pride of Iowa cookies". (Someone in Iowa must have made up this recipe??) I don't usually make them because they require coconut. But since I specifically bought some coconut last week to try these, I had some coconut in the fridge waiting for my next baking project.

In case you might be able to persuade your kids to eat cookies that don't have chocolate chips in them....

Pride of Iowa Cookies

2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I usually leave these off but if you have walnuts then throw them in)

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside. Cream together shortening and sugars in a bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats, coconut and walnuts. Form small 1 in balls and place on a greased baking sheet about 2" apart. Flatten each with floured tines of fork or bottom of a drinking glass. Bake in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks.

My kids certainly enjoyed their cookies and milk this afternoon and didn't even mention the missing chocolate chips.

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

Mmmmmmm....I love oatmeal cookies! Yes, even if they don't have chocolate chips in them.

Ice Cream said...

I love chipless cookies! Thanks for the recipe, I'm going try these tomorrow.