Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Something for the Boys


Since we decided to give Sophie the American Girl doll for Valentines Day instead of waiting for her birthday I had been thinking and thinking about what I could get for the boys that would seem to be as exciting to them as this doll was to her. I try to be equal in my giving. I don't want anyone to think I play favorites. So I decided the boys would get a basketball hoop. I thought I could just go to Toys R Us the day before Valentines day and find one to give them. Silly me! All they had were full size ones or plastic ones. I wanted a sturdy middle size one that could grow with them. So the day before Valentines day I ended up just getting the boys basketballs with the promise that a hoop was coming. They were somewhat happy but I could tell Ian still felt like Sophie's gift was better (not that he wanted a doll, too).

With a little help from my mom I found a pretty good deal on just the hoop I was looking for. And you can't beat Free Shipping! Thank you Super Saver Shipping on Amazon!

So this morning I opened to front door (I was running to get the garbage and recycling bins out to the street because we forgot to do it last night) and I saw the huge box on our porch. They must have delivered it sometime after my husband got home from work last night at 7:30 this morning when I could hear the garbage truck down the street. (Yes I did make it just in time to have our trashed picked up.)

After we finished School this morning I decided we could put the hoop up. It is supposed to be easy to assemble. It took me about an hour and a half. I am sure it would have been faster if I had had another adult to help. But I got it eventually and the kids had a ball playing outside while I toiled over the hoop.

The boys had a great time shooting hoops for awhile once I finally got it up. They love getting to finally use those basket balls they got for Valentines day.

3 comments:

Bibliophile said...

That's a good photo of the basketball hoop and the boys! They will certainly enjoy it. It won't be long until you will have to raise the hoop a bit to accommodate their improving skills.

Montserrat said...

I remember having a basketball hoop similar to that. I LOVED playing with it! (I wasn't much of a doll girl) They sure look like they are having a great time.

Ice Cream said...

My kids have pretty much outgrown our small plastic b-ball hoop. I might need to get one like this as a big family gift for Christmas.