Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sophie's Heart's Desire.

For the past year or more Sophie has been very excited about the American Girls. We read Kaya last spring and have been making our way through the different series' of books. We have recieved the American Girl catalog in the mail every few weeks and each time it comes Sophie has poured over it for hours. She could tell you all about each of the dolls and what each one comes with. We have always discussed how expensive these dolls are and tried not to get her hopes up. She did get one of the mini dolls for Christmas but she just had her heart set on a big one.
Sophie has never been a doll player. She never had baby dolls that she fed and took care of even though both Grandmas would have tried. She has always preferred animals. She has an endless assortment of animals and she has taken care of them like little children. She wanted an Alice in Wonderland doll a few years ago when she saw one in the store. Grandma made sure Alice came to our house that Christmas. Alice hasn't gotten a lot of play time. Mostly she just sits on the shelf. So I was not overly excited about getting Sophie an expensive doll that she wouldn't even play with. But Sophie has persisted in this desire and talked and wished about the day she would get a doll of her own. She even picked out the one she wanted. She told me she would like a "Just like me doll" which means she wanted one that had brown hair and brown eyes like her.


After looking for a number of months on Ebay for a used doll. I bid on one not expecting to actually win it. But I did. The doll came and has sat in my closet for a few weeks. I thought she would be a great birthday gift for Soph but that is so many months away. My husband thought we should give it to her now since she is so excited about the dolls right now. Who knows what she will be when the birthday rolls around. So we settled on giving it to her for Valentines day. We don't usually give gifts like this for Valentines but this was special.

I told my, doll loving, mother about the American Girl Doll a number of weeks ago when I won the auction. She was excited that Sophie was showing interest in dolls and decided to make a few extra outfits for this American Girl. They arrived this week and Sophie was excited to try them on her new doll this morning.

Sophie didn't wait long to introduce her little Kaya doll to her "big" American Girl doll. I thought the little ones were all we were ever going to get for her but I guess luck changed that.
I know she is happy and excited about it.

When Sophie opened the box this morning she said "My first big American Girls doll". I hate to tell her it will most likely be her only American Girl doll.

6 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

You never know...I have a friend who found one in very good condition (minus clothes)at Goodwill for $3!!! :)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I love AG dolls. My daughter (4) really wants mine from when I was little, but I'm putting her off a little longer so she can take good care of it.

Bibliophile said...

What a lovely doll! She does look like Sophie.

Ice Cream said...

I felt this way about the Build-Bear thing but I have to say that over a year later it is still my daughter's favorite doll and is getting loved to threadbare death.

What a sweet moment in a little girl's life.

Malissa said...

Brooklynn loves dolls and as a result she gets several for Christmas and birthdays. (When we moved she had 25!!! crazy!)I've been thinking of just taking up a collection from grandparents and aunts to get her 1 American girl doll instead. That way she can enjoy just one and we have less 'stuff' in the house. Glad to hear she is enjoying it!!!

Momza said...

My soon-to-be 8 yo dd wants one for her birthday next month. I'd looked at the catalogs and the price is more than we can afford, but now, thanks to you, I will check out ebay!

Thanks so much for stopping by my lil blog today and leaving your very kind comment.