Tuesday, February 10, 2009

For No Reason in Particular

Today I decided to make this:

I saw two cans of blackberries on my pantry shelves and thought they needed to be made into a pie. I don't usually make pie. Infact I think this pie dish has only been used 3 times in all the years since we received it as a wedding gift. I had to take it out of the original box in order to use it today. I was very surprised by how easy it was to make. For some reason I have it in my head that pie is hard. This took me a total of maybe 15 minutes to put together, pastry and all.

I know it isn't as good as my Mom's fresh blackberry pie that she makes each summer. She has fresh berries picked by my Dad. I only had a few cans that somehow showed up in our house. But I hope it turned out alright. The kids are very excited to give it a try tonight.

I am off now to the grocery to pick up some vanilla ice cream because of course berry pie has to be eaten a la mode.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw! Mom & Dad's blackberries. I am going to miss walking up the road picking blackberries through the fence...Eating about every 4th one. YUM!!

Maybe I'll have to visit in August.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

That sounds so good! I grew up in Oregon, so we always had blackberry pie and cobbler. Blueberry sounds good too!

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy!!! We have blackberries, but last year's crop wasn't so great. I do like pie though, and cobbler with ice cream!

Marci said...

That pie looks dee-lish! I found Karen on facebook and she led me to your blog. You are freakin' amazing: homeschooling, crocheting, pie-ing, etc. You've got some cute kids too.

Marci (your cabbage patch lovin' friend from long ago)

Kodelle said...

It looks amazing. I also have an irrational fear of pies. Mine are usually the chocolate pudding kind in pre-done graham cracker crust. Does that even count?

Bibliophile said...

That pie makes me want to pull out the frozen blackberries in the freezer and start rolling out pie dough. Yum! I'm glad that you and Karen remember the blackberries so well. They are delicious all warm in your fingers and popped into your mouth!

Ice Cream said...

I used to make pie all the time. Now it is a rare occurance at best. But I'm impressed, for not making pie you went and did a lattice top. I've never had the guts to try a lattice top.

Michal said...

i love to bake pies. this past thanksgiving i tried my first blackberry pie and it was awful. i had just found the recipe on the internet. i'll have to get your mom's recipe, as we are growing blackberries this summer and i'm hoping to need a good pie recipe!:)