Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I shouldn't fee Guilty

Today's Wordful Wednesday topic is Love for Self. This is often a hard topic since we are always told we need to serve others and as a mother there is an endless supply of others that need something. Kids and husbands always need attention and don't even mention that house and especially those bathrooms that never seem to get enough of my attention. My list of "to dos" each day is vast (and usually doesn't get touched). Stick a pedometer on me and I am sure I would rack up quite a number each day just running around my tiny house. I often wonder why I add on extra outside things to my schedule when I already have so much to do at home. And I haven't even mentioned all my church responsibilities. But most of those outside things are what keep me feeling connected to other people and give me a little "me" time.
Here are a few things that I do just for me.

I am a member of the YMCA. - I remember when my Mom joined Curves she told me a membership was only such and such and I thought it sounded like so much money each month. About 2 years ago I decided I needed to do something exercise related (walking through my house and the around the block just wasn't cutting it). I tried doing a stair stepper at home but I was always being interrupted or I just didn't fit it into my everyday life very well. I didn't think I could do a GYM because of the cost or because I have three kids. When would I go? But my YMCA membership has been worth every penny. I enjoy my morning swims or cardio work outs. My kids enjoy playing at the Kids Corner. I feel much better about myself and the exercise actually give me more energy than I used to have. Maybe it is just stamina but what ever it is... I can tell when I haven't gone.

Band - Just a year ago I joined a symphonic band. My husband doesn't love me having practice once a week but it has been so good for me to be able to play music again. Get my brain thinking in a different way. It has also helped me with my meager piano skills. Music in which ever form is getting easier to play.

Book Club - Book Club is only once a month but it has gotten me to read some books that I would not normally pick up. I am usually reading books but having a deadline is sometimes good. This is one the kids come to also so they see a bunch of Moms that read and discuss books. I think that is a good example to set for my kids as well.

On top of these few things outside of house, I have also been trying to work on creative projects at home like my quilts and crochet. And I always seem to have my nose in a book of some sort. My kids are getting used to the idea that I get my hour every afternoon to read my book.

I feel pretty lucky to have the time and means to have some "me" time. I am grateful for a husband that sees the need for me to be able to get out and do a few things on my own. He is willing to let me go off and play even though he has just had a long day at work and the last thing he wants to do is sit and read book after book to the kids and then get them ready for bed. But he does it. Just like I do it on occasion for him. Everyone needs a break once in awhile to recharge their batteries and we never should feel guilty for needing it.

5 comments:

Aimee said...

I go to book club once a month and I absolutely love it! I don't think I ever would have read the books that were chosen on my own, and I'm so glad that I did read them. Plus it is always a great chance to visit with my friends. It's wonderful!

kjha said...

This made me miss my old book group like crazy! It was one of my favorite me times...and you're right...NO GUILT! :)

Ice Cream said...

See? You are what I want to become more like when using my "me time." I tihkn you are fabulous!

Montserrat said...

It's so nice you have found things that you like to do. It's also great that your children see you doing them. Hopefully your sons will make sure their own wives get some time to themselves and your daughter will make time for herself because of your example.

Kodelle said...

The guilt trips and the to do lists just seem to weigh you down so much. Its not easy to throw them off to do what you really want to do now and then but its so worth it.