Thursday, January 17, 2008

Who needs another subject.

Sophie loves the ancient Greeks. She just can't seem to get enough of the stories and adventures told about the Greek Gods and Goddesses. Last week we went through chapters of Story of the World, and I thought that was a lot. Sophie just didn't want to stop listening. We have listened to those chapters again plus 3 more this week already. I am going to have to slow this girl down. We have borrowed a number of Greek Mythology books from the library and I have read all about the trojan war and adventures of Odysseus. Plus many more. Sophie sits/stands at the table and colors in her Greek Gods and Goddesses coloring book and listens to story after story. She doesn't want to do anything else. I have gotten her to do a little bit of other things. She rushes through them so she can get to History. It is a little strange. She even did some math quickly in order to get to the Mythology stories.
If I pause in my reading to stop the boys from killing each other, or make lunch, or heaven forbid use the bathroom, Sophie gets upset and asks me to keep reading. When it was time to go to the park yesterday for our weekly park day group, Sophie didn't want to go she wanted to stay home and "do History". We went to the park anyway because we all needed an outing, especially the boys.
I am amazed at how much she loves these stories. She tried to convince Ian to let me read more of the adventures of Odysseus yesterday when he handed me a magic school bus book to read. I read the magic school bus book and then went back to Odysseus. At least the boys do sit through these stories too. Ian loves to hear about the different monsters and how the greek heros do away with them. I think today when we go to the library I am going to look for an audio book of Mythology. My voice will give out if I read aloud all day again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're on to something if she'll hurry and do math to get to mythology!! I hope mine will like these, we're a few weeks away yet.

Alison said...

Hi, My brother has puts out a podcast on mythology. Sophie might like it and they may give you a break. There are longer podcasts at http://www.mythshow.com/ and shorter ones at http://www.mythminute.com/.

Ice Cream said...

That is great! I love mythology and am so glad that my eldest does too. Have you introduced her to myths from other cultures yet?

Sonja said...

Sometimes we go through manias like that too. I get pretty excited about mythology. My 6 year old really likes to hear the stories but my eight year old says we wants nothing to do with man-eating cyclopses.

Have fun!