Thursday, January 10, 2008

A few fun books

I had gotten into the habit of going to the library and just getting the books we needed for school and the kids would add one or two that they wanted and that was it. The last few trips to the library I have purposely just picked a few books that either I remember as a child or that just looked like fun when I glanced through the shelf while the kids are at story time. We have had a few really fun books recently that we have enjoyed.

I picked up this one because of the knights. Ian has loved his castle and knights so much since Christmas so some books on Knights sounded good. He loved this one and I guess the author, Ulf Lofgren, has written a few more Alvin books where he visits pirates and such. I will have to see if the library has any of these other ones. I am sure they will be a hit.

We just picked this one up today at the libray. Sophie found it on the library shelf. The colors must have caught her attention. All three kids couldn't wait to get home so we could read it. They even fought over how got to hold it as we walked out of the library and in the car ride home. It is very cute. I don't think Sophie will ever have a case of stripes. She is far too opinionated and doesn't care what anyone else has to say. She does her own thing no matter what. She doesn't care what others are doing or saying. But it is a fun book and the illustrations are very funny.

Leo Lionni books have been a favorite for some time. We love Frederick and Fish is Fish. We pick up a book called Frederick's Fables from the library every once in awhile. It has a bunch of Lionni's books in it. My kids will sit as we read through the complete book of fables. Sophie often reads these to herself. The book ends up in her room on her little bookshelf by her bed for early morning reading.

Cynthia Rylant's Poppleton books are a new favorite. We have read through a few of them a number of times. I can't believe I forgot to grab a few new ones today when we were at the library. Oh.... well... there is always next week.

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

My daughter was reading over my shoulder and got all excited about A Bad Case Of The Stripes because she had just read it. She just gave me a synopsis of the tale and it sounds like my kind of book!

my5wolfcubs said...

Off to check my library! You find the greatest books! Lee