Wednesday, January 2, 2008

We are Dino crazy

Rather then do nothing again this week like we did last week. Sophie of course didn't want to jump back into school yet. She will avoid "school" as much as she can. So I decided we would do a mini unit and Dinosaurs seemed like something fun and it is something we really hadn't studied yet. So last week when at the library I picked up a few books on Dinosaurs. I am always surprised at how many books on dinos there are. But kids love dinos so people write books. Here is a few of the books we have been reading this week.Along with books we borrowed the reading rainbow episode about the book Digging up Dinosaurs and also the DK Eyewitness movie about DinosaursThe kids loved both but especially the DK movie. They even watched it again with their Dad when he got home from work.
























Hands on projects are always good so I brought out this one that I had found a few months ago and had stashed in the closet until just such a time. This is a little sand egg that they kids got to use paleontologist tools to dig out the little plastic dinosaur inside. I was actually really surprised at how well the kids shared the tools. They took turns getting to hammer or brush. This actually was very slow work. It took almost a half an hour a lot of Mom help before the dino was out. Sophie got a bit bored and moved on to other things. But Henry stayed and worked until the end. Now the kids have added the little dino to the "diarama" that they have built with all their plastic dinosaurs.
Here is another hands on project that the kids enjoyed. I did most of the assembly work but the kids had fun punching out all the pieces and watching the two dinosaurs take shape.

Sophie has been busy drawing all sorts of Dinosaurs. I will have to scan some of her drawings. She is getting quite good!

We have had a good time reading all sorts of books, learning about all the different dinosaurs. I even learned a few new things. I didn't know that there was debate between experts about wether dinosaurs were warm or cold blooded. They actually have a lot in common with birds and even mammals. But most importantly I have learned that what I learned was a Brontosaurus is actually called an Apatosaurus now.

We are going to get back to "doing school" next week but this has been a fun week full of "terrible lizards".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When my kids were still very young we began memorizing all the dinosaurs. We were doing really well too, until I realized that my book was outdated and a lot of the names had been changed and some dinos were even wrong, completely. We tried again a few years later with an updated book, but then I read a National Geographic article about even more changes. I finally threw in the towel on memorizing them, but they are still loads of fun to study.