Monday, January 14, 2008

Persuasion

Jane Austen's novel Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. Ok, It is hard to pick a favorite but it is right up there with Pride and Prejudice. I have read each a number of times. I have been looking forward to the new BBC movie based on the book that would play on Masterpiece Theatre. Last night I curled into bed to watch the film, excited that I would finally get to see it. PBS has been talking about The Complete Jane Austen on PBS for months building up the anticipation. And my visits to Pemberley don't help either.

I had checked the Persuasion board at the Republic of Pemberley off and on for a bit to see other's thoughts on this production. Those lucky Janeites in the UK have already seen this newest film and were able to share their feelings about it. There were mixed reviews so I went into the film with somewhat low expectations. I haven't been really impressed with the latest Hollywood attempts at Austen's novels. BBC is usually good about adapations. They usually keep to the book without adding in a lot of Hollywood to the story.

I don't want to say I was disapointed in this Persuasion. But I can't really say I loved it. I did enjoy Rupert Penny-Jones as Wentworth. And I didn't mind the actress that plays Anne. Most of the actors did a good job. I think I was disapointed in the screenplay. For some reason the writer felt it necessary to explain everything. Jane Austen is often very subtle and you have to catch on to some of the plot points. But this film had everything explained and spelled out.

I don't know if it is the actress, director or writer to blame but Anne was far too emotional in this movie. She wore her feelings on her sleeve for all to see. That isn't the Anne Elliot that I know from the book that leaves Wentworth wondering about her true feelings. Both Wentworth and Anne were pretty easy to read in this production.

This I could have handled... but the writer botched the best scene. The overheard conversation between Anne and captain Harville which prompts Wentworth to write the letter.... gone... non existing in this film. The conversation was moved up in the film and was between Anne and Benwick and wasn't overheard at all. The letter at the end was useless, especially since it is handed to Anne in the street while she chases around Bath looking for Wentworth. The letter might as well have been left out all together.

So before I dissuade you from watching it. Give it a try but just know it isn't the best production. It is lovely to look at and Rupert does look dashing in his period clothes (I am used to seeing him in MI5). I still love the older BBC/Masterpiece Theatre production from 1995.

I am looking forward to next weeks Jane Austen film that will be shown on Masterpiece Theatre, Northanger Abby. Andrew Davies does the screenplay so it should be good. He usually does a great job with adaptations. And there isn't a good version of Northanger Abby out there yet so I am hoping for the best. I will have to read up on this movie this week and see what the ladies at Pemberley have to say about it. I haven't read this one nearly as much as Persuasion or Pride and Prejudice so I won't be as well versed on the story. But I am sure I will have comments.

4 comments:

Ice Cream said...

The whole reason why Persuasion is a beautiful story is for the heart pounding scene where Wentworth overhears her and leaves her the letter!!!

I will have to find the PBS production of Northanger Abbey as I haven't found an even remotely acceptable film version yet, either. It would make such a fun satire, if only someone could do it right.

I'm glad to find another Austen fan.

Bibliophile said...

I watched "Persuasion" last night, as well. I can't say that I liked it as much as the earlier BBC production. I disliked the screenplay for the same reasons you did. I did like the fact that Captain Wentworth's feelings were more out in the open than in the BBC production. All together, this was an inferior drama to the earlier one. I disliked the fact that the elements of Austen's story were mixed up in this script. I have the plot so firmly in mind that rearranging the parts just doesn't seem right. Anyway, it's always fun to see Bath and all the great costumes.

Montserrat said...

It's at times like these when I wish our local stations didn't quit on our satellite after 4 pm. Oh well. Gives me an excuse to rent them later and have a Jane Austen Marathon with my girls.

Sonja said...

ooooh. I'm so excited to see these too. I, unfortunatly will have to wait for the DVDs, but I'm so glad for the heads up. I totally agree with Ice Cream and I also rank Persuasion right up there as one of my favorties. With that kind of expectancy, I almost set myself up for dissapointment. Oh well, anything to let me be in that marvelous world for a little while. :D