Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blue and Gold Bobcat

Last week we attended our first Blue and Gold dinner.  We have had a cub scout in our house for less than two months.  Ian is having such a good time in scouts! He looks forward to the activities each week and comes home excited about the things he got to do.

I need to capitalize on his excitement and see if we can work on some more of the requirements.  In his first month he quickly memorized the things he needed to remember for his Bobcat.  So at this dinner he was presented with this patch. We were also surprised that he got two belt loops. He got the artist belt loop and the marbles belt loop.  At first I thought this was pretty normal but when talking to another mom whos scout is about 6 months older than mine I found out that he only had 4  before getting these same two belt loops that night.  So I guess they aren't that frequently given.  I just have no idea what they have to do to earn them. They aren't listed in the handbook and both of these were earned doing things in his den meeting.


This cub scout was very excited about the whole event and was very pleased when his name was called and he got to go up and collect his new badge and belt loops.

Now I just need to figure out how to sew a patch onto a pocket. How does one do that without going through both pieces of fabric?



2 comments:

Bibliophile said...

The best way to sew a badge on the shirt is to find a thread color that matches the thread color on the edge of the badge. Use a whip stitch to sew it on, going through the threads on the edge of the badge and picking up a few threads of the shirt. If I'm not explaining it clearly, call me and I will try to explain it better.

Cellista said...

Congratulations Ian!!

If I were you, I'd skip the sewing altogether. I sewed all of A's badges on and it was a real pain! So for C, we found a plastic badge holder at the scout store that buttons on to the pocket button and then you can just slip the badges in. Much, much easier!!!