Friday, March 5, 2010

Clouds

We have had a pretty normal winter here in California. It has rained quite a bit and it gets a little chilly, especially when the wind blows. The last few months have been rather nice. I actually prefer the winter over the hot summer months. Going inside, out of the cold, is easier than trying to cool off on a hot summer day. But one of the things I have really enjoyed most about this winter is that the sky is almost always filled with big billowy clouds. I have noticed them more this winter. It may be that we have had some really big storms and therefore really impressive cloud formations. Or it may be just that we seem to be getting a lot of rain this year so there is just more moisture in the air. Something has just drawn my eye upward and I just love looking at the play of light through the layers of clouds. It is really exciting to watch as the wind blows in storm clouds. But my thoughts aren't solely contemplating the beauty but also the chemistry and physics that are required to create such a wonder.

I guess since we have been studying the elements that make up this world the last few months my mind marvels at creation. It is so amazing to think how few elements make up the earth and yet how diverse it is. The elements are combined in so many different mixtures and all work so seamlessly together to form the earth with an atmosphere and all life on it.
Recently my husband and I came across a show on PBS (I wish I could remember what it was called) that talked about the earth and how precise the location and size of the sun, the moon, the earth, and the other plants have to be in order for there to be water, and therefore life, on earth. Everything is so intricately interwoven, organized and balanced. Our Heavenly Father is certainly an amazing scientist!

As I take walks around the block, watch my kids play at the park, or just drive from place to place I can't help but look up at the clouds overhead and think how much fun it must have been to create such beautiful world.

None of these photographs are mine. I just googled clouds and these were some of the lovely images I found there.

1 comment:

Bibliophile said...

....and I was sure that you took those photos! I, too, have noticed the lovely clouds in the sky lately. It makes going outside in the cold almost worthwhile.