Thursday, June 18, 2009

For Some Reason it is Different!

Today I took the kids on a hike. Every week some of our friends have been going on different hikes in the area. We really enjoyed these hikes last spring and summer and the kids have asked when we would be going again. I have purposely not told the kids about them because I just didn't think I would make it up those steep climbs which these hikes often are. Today's hike was one that I knew was flat and not that long and they kids had heard about the hike from a conversation they overheard and were determined to go. I figured this was a hike I could do. I do make it to the gym 3 times a week to do the stair stepper or something. Somehow hiking in the hot sun with three complaining kids was a big difference. I am so tired and worn out after only our short little hike.

Sophie and Ian were actually fine, at least on the way there. They kept up with their friend and made it to the little farm, which was our destination. Henry on the other hand complained and whined about being too tired of walking and of course wanted to be carried. There was no way I was going to carry him so I got to listen to his crankiness the whole way while holding his hand which was all I could offer him.

The kids did enjoy looking at the animals at the farm, as well as getting to run around a bit with their friends and have a snack.

The walk back was a whole lot worse than the walk to the farm. Now all three kids were complaining about the heat and about how tired they were. I was really tired too and couldn't wait to get back to the car. For some reason they always seemed to sit down and pout when we were out in the hot sun and couldn't understand why when we got to the shade I would stop everyone and pass around the water bottles.


I tried really hard to distract them with all the beautiful nature around us. We saw so many birds. Three different kinds of bluebirds, some robins, hawks circling in the air and even a little family of quail with some little chicks.


This helped a bit during moments of the hike back. I don't really blame them. It was hot. Our temperatures were suddenly in the high 80's today rather then the mild 70's we had be enjoying. We were all sweating and tired and were happy to reach the car and our A/C for the drive home.

I don't think I am going to be doing any hiking again for a bit. At least until it cools off a little or after I loose this extra 20 pounds that I have been carrying around recently. I think I am going to have to stick to exercising at the Air conditioned YMCA where I get to tune out the world and listen to music or read a book rather than my cranky kids.

No comments: