Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Each Kid has now had an ER visit

I sent the kid outside to ride their bikes while I was busy making dinner a few nights ago.  Just as I had the dinner almost done Sophie runs in frantic and tells me to come help Ian. I could hear him screaming so I ran out expecting him to have a broken arm or leg or something. But he was standing up near his bike at the bottom of a small hill/rise. Evidently they were racing up and down the sidewalk that goes up and down this slight hill. Ian went off the sidewalk and down the hill to the street below.  I could see blood all over his chin and it was dripping on his shirt. 

He was walking so I had Sophie run down and bring his bike back up and he climbed up the hill to me and we went inside the house. I had him lay down so I could clean him up a bit and see the damage.  
The cut wasn't big but it was deep. I could see the fat layer under the skin. I knew this was going to need stiches. I quickly called my husband who was due home in about 10 min. He told us to just wait for him and he would go with us to the ER.  The ER is about 20 minutes away I am glad he went with us and that Sophie could stay home with the other kids. We ended up being there for about 3 hours.

 You can still see a hint of the ringworm on his face that hasn't quite gone away.

 Because he also had some bruising and a lacerations on his tummy from hitting the handle bars they wanted to do a CT scan to make sure there was no internal damage. This ment he needed an IV. They have to put some coloring into the blood stream before doing a CT scan.
 I think the IV was the worst part. Ian has never been good about needles so having to have an IV put in was not easy for him.
 He did really well when the doctor finally came in to actually stitch him up.  The doctor had to do another series of localized pain killing shots at the site and Ian was perfect during this. I was shocked.  Ian hasn't held still for any shots before. Even as a baby he had to be held very tightly when he was givin immunizations. But he held still for the sewing part and he said he didn't feel anything. The pain blocker worked.
He has four widely spaced stitches. He looks like has some dark whiskers on his chin. In a few days we will head to the clinic to have these stitches removed. I hope he holds as still for the nurse as he did for the doctor.

I guess every kid ends up making a trip to the ER at some point in their lives. Ian used to be able to claim that he hadn't ever had to go but now he has a battle wound and most likely a small scar to prove he is an active normal child.

Thankgoodness for health professionals. As cool as it was to watch the doctor stitch him up, I know I wouldn't be able to do that. I am really grateful someone is able to do it and has the skills to take care of the rest of us squimish people.

Sorry the photos are kinda poor. I took them with my non smart phone. It doesn't have the greatest camera on it. But at least I got to document the moment some how.

1 comment:

Bibliophile said...

I'm sorry that Ian had to go to the ER. He will have that scar his whole life, just as Karen has one on her forehead from a fall. I have one on my left arm that I got when I was 7 years old. They fade but never go away. I hope all goes well for Ian. He has bragging rights now......