Monday, October 6, 2014

Dr. Who

Knock, Knock

Who's there?

Doctor

Doctor Who?


This is Molly's favorite joke that she made up all by herself.

Can you tell we have been introducing the kids to another t.v. show.

I didn't grow up watching Dr. Who. It was kinda out of popularity when I was young but my husband grew up watching this British t.v. show. He knows all the different men who played the Doctor as well as all the lady assistants that have come and gone over the years.  He watched a few episodes of some of the latest seasons when they became availiable on Netflix but I honestly would fall asleep within 10 min of starting. But then one day I actually stayed awake for an entire eppisode and got a little hooked.  I watched most of the last season where Matt Smith played the Doctor and got to know more about the series and the different reoccuring characters.  The kids would hear us watch eppisodes after they went to bed and soon decided they would like to watch them as well. I decided to go back to when Christopher Eccleston brought Dr. Who back. The kids loved that first episode and watched several more from that season. They sort of picked and choosed episodes that they felt like weren't as scary as the others. But before they knew it there was a new doctor.

They really like the 10th doctor played by David Tennant. We are slowly working our way through these seasons. He and rose play a big role in my kids lego building, art drawings and discussions.


I was recently given the opportunity to read and review a Dr. Who novel.  I had no idea there was such a thing but evidently you can read a eppisode rather than watch it.

This book is based on the 12th doctor who is played by Peter Capaldi.  It takes place in Victorian London and also includes some of my favorite supporting characters Madame Vastra, Jenni and Strax.  While reading the book the characters jumped right off the page. It helped that I had seen most of them before in the t.v. show but their voices and manerisms seemed just like I would expect. All except the Doctor. I have never seen this newest incarnation of the Doctor and from the way he interacts with the other characters I can tell he is very different than the 11th, 10th and 9th doctors which I have already become aquainted with.  The Doctor in this book was rather grumpy and sarcastic with everyone. I kept thinking Clara should slap him or something because he was just plane rude to her on multiple occations. I just don't think she would put up with that no mater how exciting traveling through time and space would be or how much she liked the former Doctor. I just thought he was too stiff and unfriendly and didn't seem to really enjoy what he was doing. This is quite different from the former Doctors who really wanted to save earth and all the people on it.

But this isn't supposed to be a review of the Doctor himself. I am supposed to review the book.  The plot of this one is very well written and has all sorts of twists and turns and you really don't know what is coming next. It was a lot of fun to read and picture in my head. My husband actually read it aloud to me so we could both enjoy it.  It was hard to wait to read again becasuse I am so used to it all coming together in a tidy one hour episode and having to drag it out over the course of a book made it drag a little but that could be just because I was having to wait until my husband came to to read it again.

This is a very fun additon for any Doctor who fan. I don't know if it would be as fun a read if I hadn't already gotten to know most of the characters and knew the background of the doctor and such.

I look forward to reading another Doctor Who novel now that I know they are out there.

No comments: