Monday, January 6, 2014

Integrity #6 Fasting

Fasting is not one of my favorite things. I can honestly say most Fast Sundays I think I just go without food and don't really Fast. I think this is mainly because I don't really Fast with a purpose. I will have some generic thing in mind as I say my prayers on Fast Sundays but I can't really claim a real true fast. There have been times in my life where I felt the need to Fast to really show Heavenly Father that I am willing to sacrifice for a certain purpose. But most months Fast Sunday comes and goes with me skipping my meals and my kids being grumpy (me too I am sure!) but if I really looked at my heart I didn't really Fast. I was lacking a purpose for my Fast.

One of my roommates from college contacted me and several other girls from our old apartment the other day and told us that she had just finished her fourth round of chemo. I haven't heard from her in over a year and even then it was just a quick Facebook posting or something and not real communication. This friend has been going through cancer treatments without having told any of us. It made me sad for her. She lives on the east coast so it isn't like I could really do much for her exept listen to her or perhaps pray for her.  She sounded very possitive and hopeful but still, she has just been through hard times multiple times and was now finally able to tell us all and reach out for some emotional support from her long ago and far away friends.

I have had her in my thoughts and prayers the last few days and especially today as I Fasted. Even with my kids being grumpy and afternoon church I was able to make it through the 24 hours without really thinking about hunger or food. It is amazing what Fasting with a purpose will do.
This isn't the first time I have fasted with a specific objective or desire. I know how powerful Fasting can be when done with a reason and especially when a group Fasts together. I just need to be reminded sometimes to not just go through the motions.

I will keep this friend in my thoughts and prayers over the days, weeks and months ahead. I can't do much more for her. I will do a better job of keeping up with her and being her friend if to do nothing more than listen.

No comments: