Thursday, July 25, 2013

Five Days in Skye - Review

 I love stories that take me places I haven't ever visited before. And the stories are even better if they help we see the sights of such different places.  I just finished Five Days in Skye which takes place on the Island of Skye in the Highlands of Scotland. As I read the book and went sight seeing with Andrea with James as a tour guide I couldn't help but jump up and get online to see pictures of all the places they were visiting. Of course the pictures make the Isle of Skye look beyond beautiful which is also how it is described in the book. This is certainly a great advertisement for vacationing in Scotland!




It also didn't hurt that James is a celebrity chef and knows how to cook great traditional foods or knows exactly where to find the best pubs and restaurants that serve great local fare. So many fancy dishes are mentioned in this book they made me hungry.


Beyond the local and the food, characters were flawed but likeable and the story itself pulled me in quickly. It is a story about healing and figuring out what is really important in life. This is labeled a Christian book but I didn't find the religious aspects overbearing. Sometimes Christian books tend to hit you over the head with "the message". This one was more subtle and in my mind more realistic. The characters turn to their creator in order to overcome their past and embrace the future. James and Andrea help each other too. This isn't about one saving the other but about two people helping each other come back to the things that bring lasting happiness.


A very pleasing way to spend a day or two. I enjoyed my "visit" to Scotland and hope to one day take an actual visit to such a rugged beautiful land.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: