Thursday, December 18, 2008

A touch of Hanukkah

Our history chapter for the week was about the Jewish Diapora. I took this opportunity to study Hanukkah. I didn't know that much about this holiday. I knew it has something to do with a miracle of oil in the lamps lasting for a lot longer then it was supposed to. I also knew that the Menorah played a big roll and the dreidel was a toy they played with but I honestly didn't know how it all fit together. We have been reading a bunch of children's books on the subject and I have learned a lot. The kids have had a lot of fun listening to Hanukkah songs and reading about this holiday. Today we decided we would sample some traditional food eaten for this holiday.

We made Challah, braided bread. Mine was just one braid and didn't turn out quite as nice as it is supposed to look but it tasted good.
We also made Latkas. I don't usually fry much of anything at our house but I guess the oil is to remind the people of the oil that lasted longer than expected. For some reason they eat these with apple sauce. I didn't really care for the taste. They were fine just plain.
I did set the table with our blue table cloth since blue is a Hanukkah color. No menorah at our house we settled for one candle
I don't know if everything was kosher but we had grilled chicken (Maybe it should have been fried?), applesauce, and peas to go along with our bread and potato pancakes.

This afternoon while waiting for the Challah to raise we made some borax snowflakes. This had nothing to do with Hanukkah but it just sounded fun. We boiled water, poured it into a wide mouth mason jar. Stirred in a lot of borax and then dangled a pipe cleaner shaped snowflake into the solution. Left it there while we got everything else ready for dinner. After eating we checked on the snowflakes.

We pulled it out and it had lovely crystals to look at. My only question about this little project.... Why did I spend two weeks making sugar crystals earlier in the fall. This took a matter of hours and we got more crystals. Maybe I will have to dig out those sugar crystals we made and we will see what the difference is between them.

School has been really light this week so I am glad we have had a little fun studying about Hanukkah. We haven't forgotten Christmas by any means. We are still listening to tons of Christmas music and reading all sorts of Christmas stories. It is just nice to understand a little more about what others are celebrating at this time of year.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I love that you are teaching diversity. We live in Jewish country- so I think it is so important for the children to understand their neighbors. The crystals are beautiful!

Malissa said...

what a fun project!

Michal said...

we did hanukkah one evening, too. we had latkes with applesauce, french dip sandwiches, and homemade jelly-filled donuts. it was too much frying, but like you said, that's part of hanukkah. we also printed up a driedle online and played the driedle game with chocolates, talked about the history of hanukkah, and looked at my menorah that i brought back from jerusalem, but since we didn't have candles the right size, we couldn't light it!:)