Monday, September 29, 2008

2 weeks already?

Two weeks ago we did a science experiment and the directions told us to let the solution wait two weeks. At the time I thought two weeks was a long time and I didn't know if the kids could wait that long.
The directions called for us to add gelatin as well as sugar (blue batch). That sounded strange to me at the time so I made a 2nd batch without the gelatin (yellow batch). I am glad I did. The blue batch pretty much solidified into one big chunk of blue jello. There were a few little white crystal like formations in the blue jello but nothing exciting to look at and I couldn't even get a decent picture of them through the glass jar.
The yellow batch turned out exactly as I had hoped it would. Here is a nice chuck of crystals that formed on the top of the liquid.

And after pouring out the liquid left in the jar this is what we saw on the bottom.


Look at how beautiful these perfect crystals turned out.

The kids were excited to give these crystals the taste test. Since it was just sugar and water it wasn't that exciting but they of course were thrilled when I told them they could break off a little to try.
Here are the crystals that formed around the string and paperclip that we had hanging into the solution. You can't even see the paperclip inside all the crystals.
This one turned out really well!

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love the crystals. I hate waiting for things and I am sure as a child it was worse. Your patience paid off~

Bibliophile said...

Why didn't the blue jello have crystals?