Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Anthem - Wordfull Wednesday

Today's Wordfull Wednesday topic is our favorite Christmas Song, hymn or carol. It is really hard to narrow it down to one. I love listening to each of my Christmas music CD's throughout this time of year and I can't say which of them is my favorite either. So I thought I would share one of the songs I look forward to hearing and singing each year. It is a song that the primary in our ward sings each year. It isn't in the Children's songbook put out by the church and I don't believe it ever appeared in the Church magazines. It was actually written by a lady in our stake a number of years ago for her ward to perform. A copy of the song was left in the piano bench of the primary room and found several years ago by someone in our ward. And it has been sung and played in our ward's primary ever since. It is always a favorite and the first time I heard it I knew I wanted a copy of it to keep in my stash of Christmas stories and songs. Since I now work with the primary kids I get to sing this song often and the kids LOVE to sing it, especially the chorus.
Sorry I don't have a recording of the kids singing it but here is the music for those that play piano or can pick out a tune. It is very easy. Even I can play it.


Each verse is sung through once and then the verses are sung together the third time through.
On the music there is a crossed out word in the first verse. When it was written it went "Christ our Savior is born one winter night long ago". The kids quickly corrected the words and made it spring knowing that Christ's actual birth wasn't in the winter. The kids have always sung it "spring" since, and it fits perfectly.
I hope you enjoy this song. We certainly do around our house.

10 comments:

Montserrat said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I love finding new yet simple songs to learn with my children.

Allison said...

Thanks for sharing the music with us. I can't wait to play through it!

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing such a sweet story. I can't wait to hear the melody.

James and Aimee said...

Oh thank you. I will really enjoy singing this with my kids.

I especially love that the primary children changed the word winter to spring!

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for sharing the music, I'm always looking for new Christmas music!

crabapple farm said...

How fabulous! Thank you for sharing a new song.

Bibliophile said...

Thanks! I printed out the song and will play it tonight.

Mommily said...

Thanks! I love hearing new Christmas music.

An Ordinary Mom said...

This looks like a true gem! I can't wait to hear it!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the music! That's such a neat song!