Friday, April 8, 2011

A Small Project

 Molly got a very cute baby doll stroller for Christmas. She LOVES it. It travels around our house everyday. It carts around dolls and stuffed animals and sometimes blocks and trains. But it is an always present part of our lives.

About a week after Christmas the little plastic fabric seat started to rip on the edges. I knew trying to mend with needle and thread wouldn't work. The plastic would fray even more.  I even tried adding some iron on patches to add some strength to those edges. But they don't seem to work either.
It was time to make a new one. I took the old frayed one and drew up a pattern. I then looked in my sewing stuff to see if I had something that would work. I settled on some old scraps from a pair of gray sweats that I had cut off to make capris. The cut off part was just the right size to use. I had some navy blue binding tape so used that to edge it and for the straps. I wish I had had elastic in blue or even black but I only had white.
I think it turned out alright. There are flaws but I have never been a great seamstress. I am just happy to make things that are functional. This is surely functional so I think I succeeded.
It isn't very frilly or particularly feminine but I don't think Molly seems to mind.
Lets hope Henry doesn't decide to take a ride in this one like he did in the last. I think that may have something to do with why the old one didn't last very long. I think I better keep my paper pattern. I have a feeling it may come in handy again.

No comments: