Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learning French

I am not good with languages. I took Spanish in high school and got through a semester or two of spanish in college but I can't say I speak it at all well. I understand and can read spanish better than I can conjugate or speak it. This is probably true of most of us that took languages in school.

This week our history subject is medieval France and for fun, and a bit of a change of pace, I thought we would listen to some real french. I can't even come close to pronouncing it, even when reading it. It always seems to come out sounding like my spanglish. So I went to find a CD with some music in French. I found this CD at the library last week and hoped for the best. Sometimes children's CDs are so horrible to listen to. You just never know what you are going to get. Well... we have been listening to this CD, French Playground, the last few days and throughly enjoying it. Yeah I don't know what they are singing about but luckily there are words in English and French on the booklet. My favorite is the song about the ladybug. Sophie loves the song about a girl taking pictures on her vacation to the beach. There are different songs sung in the styles of some of the different places around the world where French is spoken. There is some caribbean sounding music along with the parisian. It is very fun to listen to.

Are there any other fun language CD's that you have tried and enjoy? We sure enjoy learning languages through music.

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I took Spanish in HS and 2 years in college. I can speak & conjugate better than I can understand native (fast) speakers, and I can read it with the help of a dictionary. I understand the pattern & flow of the language better than I have vocabulary and listening comprehension.

Sonja said...

I will have to check out some of those CD's! We also like to learn things through song.

We have enjoyed BBC's "Muzzy" DVD's. Our library has them in Spanish, French and Italian.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! We are studying French this year using Ecoutez! Parlez! and it's lacking the "fun" element of play time songs, and even recipes that we enjoyed when were taking Spanish.

Off to see if our library has this book!

~Mrs. Cuddles