Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Best Season!

The speaker at church Sunday was somebody new and before heading into her topic she introduced herself and her husband by telling us a little about herself. She explained that she is now an empty nester. Her children are all grown and have families of their own. She said " You mothers of small children enjoy every moment of this season of you life. No matter how busy or difficult it seems, you are going to miss it". This statement made me think of this today's Wordful Wednesday topic. I had planned on writing something about Fall because I love the crisp cool days of this season but this woman's statement struck me. I was sitting there trying to keep Ian from kicking the seat in front of us or fighting with Henry over the book they both felt they had to read that moment. My husband and I exchanged looks that said "wow.... this isn't fun". But I think that lady was right, we should enjoy every moment of this season of our life but not just as young mothers but in what ever season we are in right now.
I remember being in High School and I just couldn't wait to be done. There are elements of that season of my life I wouldn't particularly want to revisit but on the whole my growing up years were great. I have great memories of family outings and trips. I tell my kids all the time about the places we would ride horses and the games we used to play with the neighbor kids. When I go to my parents house now I wander through the pasture and remember the forts we used to make and the trails we used to explore. But when I was 17, I was ready to leave it all and head to college. But was scared to leave the comforts of home and parents who took care of me.

My years at BYU were another great season of my life. I had some really great roommates that have become life long friends. I enjoyed most of my classes. And it was just a lot of fun being a student. I worked hard too. Along with my classes I also had a part time job. I did such glamorous things as wash dishes in the Cannon Center, and waiting tables at the Brick Oven. I think these jobs helped me keep from playing too much. It was here in college I really learned how to study. I had never really had to study in high school. But college classes were a lot harder than anything I had ever taken before. I quickly learned that I there was a lot to learn and I just wanted to soak up as much as I could. I had such a great time and didn't want it to end. There were all sorts of classes I wanted to take and not enough time to take them. Eventually BYU does want you to graduate.

When sitting in the office of my mission president for my final interview when it was time to go home from my mission, I didn't feel like I was ready to leave. I had loved being a missionary. It was one of the hardest seasons I have ever had but also one of the best. I loved waking up in the morning knowing exactly what I was supposed to do. The focus was on doing good and serving others rather than myself. Talking to people about the gospel was difficult at the beginning but by the end it was second nature. I knew when I went home things wouldn't be the same, I wouldn't be the same. I still had a year left of college when I returned home and that was something I looked forward to but at the same time I knew it would be hard but a different kind of hard than I had in the mission field. But back to the "real world" I went.

My current season is as wife and mother. It certainly is not easy and I am learning a lot. I am also enjoying it, or trying to enjoy it despite never feeling busier and less in control of what is going on around me. It is hard balancing everything that is needed and wanted of me. But I love serving my husband and children even if it does make me more tired than I have ever been. Seeing these little guys learn new things and viewing the world for the first time is so exciting. I love having them at home so I can see each of their development. We are almost done with diapers and it is almost sad to not have a baby in the house. But it is great to see Sophie learn to ride a two wheeler or Ian piece together words. I certainly look forward to seeing them be independent grown people but at the same time I want to keep them small and treasure the hugs and kisses, the quiet moments reading books together. They seem to be growing so quickly.

The speaker at church mentioned that she is now spending more time in the temple and doing family history. She enjoys being a grandma. That is a season I look forward to. I can't wait to go on another mission with my husband. But I know I will be sad, just as the speaker was, to leave the season of little ones behind. Each time I face having to move onto the next season I never want to leave the one I am currently in. So at the moment my favorite season is one where I have a wonderful husband who loves me and fun, active kids who I get to teach and take care of. What season could be better?

11 comments:

James and Aimee said...

That was very beautifully put. I feel the same way. My children are young and busy and I do look forward to what lies ahead for us. But at the same time, I try to remind myself that every moment I have with my kids now is very precious.

Anonymous said...

Great entry. Although I haven't reached the season you're in quite yet, I do look forward to it.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

wonderful post... so true there are many seasons to life and thats what makes it great :)

Montserrat said...

I love this post, S! Reminds me of Elder Ballard's talk last conference when he spoke of Anna Quindlen's quote about rushing past moments...not living in the moment enough when you are a mother.

Gina said...

That was beautiful. I need that advice right now. I love how perfectly you put it. Thank you!

Andrea said...

So true. So true.

Sometimes we have to "talk ourselves down" from the "entire roll of toilet paper unraveled into the toilet" moments and ask ourselves, "what could possibly be better than this?" Hopefully we can answer..."nothing".

DesertHen said...

Love your post. We should live in the present moment no matter what it is and enjoy it to the fullest!

Michal said...

i am so glad you wrote this. i had some similar thoughts on favorite seasons being seasons of our life, but i never had the time to write it. i'm so glad you did, and you did it beautifully.

Jenni said...

Amen, sister!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I absolutely loved your interpretation of your best season. Very thought provoking.

Angela said...

Very nice! When my oldest children were younger, I thought the the days would never end- When my daughter turned 5 I thought- we have about 3 sets of 5 left. Now, I have one set of 5 left with her. The first set went so slow and now you can't slow it down. Everyday has to count. Great post!