Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Top 10 Tuesday - Dinner my kids actually eat


I have some picky eatters around these parts. So often I make things for dinner that my kids don't like or wont eat. Here is a list of what my kids will actually eat for dinner. As a result we eat these all the time. Off the top of my head this is what I can recall that they eat if I make it.

1. Cheese and Olive Calzone: this is what I made last night for dinner and they actually asked for seconds. They don't want any meet just cheese and they love the black olives in them. If I am in a hurry I just make these on pita bread. My kids ask for these all the time!



2. Corn on the Cob: This isn't a main dish but it is one of the things my kids ask for. They usually don't eat corn unless it is on the cob. They love the little corn cob holders I picked up at the dollar store so now they don't complain about how hot the corn is on their hands.



3. Chicken Nuggets and fish sticks: whenever I ask what the kids want they would like for dinner, Ian always tells me, Chicken nuggets. It is a very quick and easy food. I will often slip in the fish sticks just because I usually try to have fish at least once a week. Usually we eat these with rice which Henry always loves.



4. Pancakes, French toast or Waffles: In answer to my question about what to serve for dinner, Sophie always says she wants breakfast for dinner. I guess my oatmeal pancakes and some scrambled eggs and fruit isn't such a bad dinner.



5. Spaghetti and meatballs: This has to be meatballs not just browned hamburger. For some reason it makes a difference. Twirling the spaghetti is fun too.



6. Pasta with pesto: I usually make this meal with some grilled chicken. And amazingly the Broccoli also goes over when it is mixed in with the sauce. I have forgotten the real name for the pasta that my kids like. We always call it honeycombs.



7. Salad: This is just the run of the mill green salad with lettuce and celery and sometimes spinach. They love to dip the carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers in dressing. This is how I got them to eat salad. They wanted to dip the different veggies. They are even venturing away from Ranch to French or Russian Dressing.
One great secret I also have for getting them to eat veggies is to let them sneak them while I am cutting. They think they are being sly by stealing tomatoes or cucumbers but in reality I am leaving them close enough to be stolen on purpose. It is amazing how the same vegetable on their dinner plate is yucky but they love it when it is "forbidden" food.



8. Salmon: It doesn't matter how I cook salmon they usually eat it. I use canned Salmon on salads and sometimes even make salmon patties. I also just bake it in lemon and pepper (Yum!). I also have a great Salmon and Tomato recipe that my Husband always requests when he gets to give his 2 cents on what to make for dinner.



9. Tacos/Burritos: This one doesn't go over all the time but I serve it hopes that they will grow to like it better. usually I have to make quesadillas for them. But I add some beans and such when I can. Again... they love to dip. So a mild salsa is a must!



10. Ham: I don't serve this very often but my kids ate and ate it the last time I did.



To be honest.... It was actually really difficult to come up with 10 dishes that I make and that my kids actually eat and not complain about. Sophie doesn't like things to mixed up. She perfers foods to not have sauces. The boys will eat a bit variety of things. Henry loves rice and potatoes but the others just don't go for it. I know my Mom told me I was a picky eater when I was younger and there are still a lot of food I will gladly pass over but I have also gotten over a lot of food prejudices also. So there is hope that my kids will learn to eat more things. Sometimes I think they live on Breakfast cereal and Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Sarah,

This is Jen Jarrett. I like your blog. Lots of fun and inspiration. I just read a funny book about a family of picky eaters. Good for a laugh. It's called The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Silly-Eaters-Mary-Hoberman/dp/0152024409/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8937114-7727637?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186159503&sr=8-1

Also, I love this book, How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much by Ellyn Satter http://www.amazon.com/How-Get-Your-Kid-Eat/dp/0915950839/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8937114-7727637?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186159587&sr=1-1

Sea Star said...

I read the How to get your kid to eat book when in college for a child development class. It is here on the shelf. Maybe another read through would be good for me.

I put the other book on hold at the library.

Thanks for the nice comments. I am having fun with my blog. I can't say it is anything wonderful and I always see typos and misspellings but my blog is informal.