Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sophie picked something new.

On Saturday night we finished reading Danny, the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. This was the 6th Roald Dahl book we had read in a row. Sophie went to the big book shelf to pick another book. Dahl's book The Witches was sitting there but Sophie actually didn't want to read it. Instead she picked up a book I had just found on the used book shelf at the Library. Grandma, you will be happy to know she wanted to read Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers. One of Grandma's favorites when she was little. I have never read the actual stories but we have all enjoyed the movie a number of times.

We made it through the first two chapters tonight. It is very different than the movie and Sophie spent a lot of time telling me all the differences but she didn't want me to stop reading. She wanted me to read the next chapter but it was getting late so I told her I would read again tomorrow. It is always a good sign when she doesn't want me to stop reading. Half the time I don't even know if she is really listening. She can't sit still for a moment. She is flitting about her room getting her animals safe in their beds or whatever. I know she does catch most of the story though because she can always give a full report of what happened the last time I read. She just has such an active mind she can't just sit and listen. She has to be doing something else at the same time.

I am glad to have moved on to a new author.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi Sarah. I really like your blog. I'm getting a lot of ideas from you. Thanks! I know what you mean about busy little bodies that can't sit still while you read to them. Isabel and I just discovered a fun new activity for her to do while I read. Here's what I wrote about it on my blog--you inspired me;)

http://www.mavenhood.blogspot.com/