Friday, January 15, 2010

The last two weeks of work

We have jumped back into our studies. I admit December was a bit of a slack month. We did school work, but really lightly. We have had two pretty good weeks. This is the rundown of what we have done and where we are now.

Sophie:
Math - She is finishing up Singapore Math 3B. I think there are 1 or 2 more exercises. She is doing great with telling time and some Geometry. We have also kept going with our Mathematicians are people too book. Every time Sophie finishes a section in her math workbook and makes it through the review we take a day off and read about a mathematician. We read about Isaac Newton this week. He wasn't next in the book but since he was also the subject of history this week so we read about him for Math as well.

History - We studied about William Penn, Isaac Newton and farming the last little bit. Sophie really enjoyed the activity from the SOTW activity book which helped us learn more about crop rotation. We also have almost finished listening to The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I really like this book. I don't remember reading it when I was younger.

Science - We read about Silver, Tin, Mercury and Sodium. I think it is time to move on from the Periodic Table and the elements. We have really enjoyed learning about all the different elements and may come back to do a few more but we need to move on to other parts of Chemistry. But my kids still want to make ice cream since that was the experiment that went along with the sodium book. I just didn't have the rock salt.

Language Arts - We have been doing an exercise every day from our Primary Language Lessons book. Sophie really hates doing any writing. We are really going to have to work on this. But if we do it daily then hopefully she will get used to it and not fight it as much. At the moment we are still fighting it.

Music - Sophie recieved three of the Vox biography CD's for Christmas. The stories are interesting and the music is lovely. I think we are going to have to invest in a few more of these.

Art - We looked at two books for art study this week. How Artists see Animals and Come look with Me: Animals. I had all three older kids sitting around the book looking at these interesting paintings. Sophie and I really liked the two paintings by Paul Klee. I think we are going to have to look at more of his work.
We will be picking up the other books in each of these art series'. We all really liked these.

Latin - We only did one lesson this week and reviewed since we haven't done Latin in awhile.

Ian:
Ian participates in a lot of what Sophie is studying. He loves doing science and listens to the history lesson.

Language Arts - He is finishing up Explode the code 2 and is starting to really read and write a lot better. He still sounds out just about every word even if he has read it over and over again. But he is getting faster and it seems to be easier.

Someone gave us a few sets of Bob books. He has been reading these to me. I don't really love them, but Ian does, so we read them. I would rather go back to having him read through his primer but I guess he is reading and eventually we will run out of Bob books.

Math - Ian finished Singapore 1A and started into 1B. He gets the math but we are mainly working on him reading the problems himself rather then me reading each one to him. This slows him down a bit but it is coming along.

Henry:

Henry hasn't really been interested in doing much of any school work and I don't require anything of him since he isn't officially in school yet. He did a few cutting pages from his Kumon workbooks but wasn't interested in doing any writing pages. I have also been trying to fit in more books just for him. It is so fun to read Dr. Seuss and Jan Brett books that have nothing to do with school work.

This is about it for school work. We are just getting warmed up again after being off for a few weeks. I think we are doing pretty well.

1 comment:

Bibliophile said...

I am amazed at how much you and the children are doing!