Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Another Hearing Test

Sophie had ear tubes but back into her ears in August because of a hearing test that she took in July. They found that she was having a bit of trouble with one of her ears. There was fluid in there that was causing her to not hear as well. Tubes were supposed to solve the problem and today we finally got back to the ENT to have another hearing test to make sure the tubes were doing their job and that that was the problem with her hearing. Sophie went in and didn't have a problem at all with the tests unlike last time. She put the equipment on without complaining and followed directions perfectly. And Hurray! Her hearing is back in the normal range. The tubes are helping. That is nice to know. And I am so glad that Sophie cooperated this time. But of course as a result we didn't do our normal morning school routine. We will try to fit in a little work this afternoon hopefully.

4 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I've been considering taking my Monster Man in for a hearing test. He has very oddly shaped ears and of course he never listens to me. What have your experiences been with hearing exams?

Sea Star said...

Sophie of course has had several hearing tests in her short life. She is prone to hearing issues due to the cleft lip and palette. She has had ENTs poking around her ears all her life as a result so she really hates anyone touching her ears. (I am not even allowed to brush the hair around her ears.) So when she goes in and has to wear headphones that aren't totally soft and cushioned she throws a fit and won't let the tech put them on her.
But today for some reason (maybe because I had forgotten about the test until just before we needed to leave so she didn't get a chance to get too worked up about it yet.) she allowed the tech to do the test with no problems.

Her hearing problems are usually related to fluid collecting behind the ear drum. Everything sounds a bit foggy or under water, so tubes help drain the fluid so she can hear. I don't have any experience with actual hearing loss... although it often feels like my kids have lost all hearing at times.

Sonja said...

I'm glad that the test went well! :D

my5wolfcubs said...

So glad Sophie took the test AND the results were good! Ginger is a *terrible* patient at the eye doctor...I know she hates going and this is her way of controling the situation but...sigh. :)

I just noticed the salmon recipe down below! Thanks! I copied it into a doc in my recipe folder, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Lee

PS I can see your stick family! Very cute -- Ian has a soccer ball!